*Hosted by Jamie at The Perpetual Page-Turner*
I LOVE this survey! I look forward to Jamie posting the questions about September of the current year because I cannot wait to start getting my answers ready! This is my third year participating in the survey and as always I had a ton of fun coming up with my answers 🙂
2014 Reading Stats
Number Of Books You Read: 76
Number of Re-Reads: 2
Genre You Read The Most From: Contemporary, by quite a lot! Surprise, surprise… for two years in a row, I’ve read more from contemporary than any other genre!
Best in Books
1. Best Book You Read In 2014?
Ok, you know what? I tried really hard to narrow this down to the very, very best book that I read this year and I just… can’t. My five-star reads were well deserved five-star reads. I was quite selective with them this year and I honestly pondered over this for a long time. I’ve finally narrowed it down to my three favorites of the favorites…
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
I was really expecting a lot more from We Are Liars by E. Lockhart. It was just WAY too hyped up I think before I got to it and it fell flat for me.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?
The Art of Lainey by Paula Stokes. This was definitely in a good way. I didn’t have low expectations for this book, I didn’t really have any expectations. I was really in need of a light contemporary read, as I was moving so I grabbed this from the pile and it BLEW ME AWAY!
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?
Oh gosh, I really don’t know. I raved and raved about a lot of books but I don’t know about them actually reading them haha. I’m going to go with the entire All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness. I just raved about this (no different from any other year) so much that no other books hold a candle to how much I pushed this haha.
5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?
Best series I started in 2014 is definitely a tie between Shadow and Bone & Throne of Glass. The best sequel of 2014 was Split Second by Kasie West, I was really pleased with how this duology ended! The best series ender was hands down The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?
This is impossible to narrow down, I started reading so many amazing books by amazing authors. I’m going to go with Tarryn Fisher!
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
This is definitely a tie between Shadow and Bone & Throne of Glass. I like fantasy, but more the Harry Potter-type fantasy. To delve into made up worlds is totally out of my comfort zone but I really look a dive into different genres of fantasy this year and completely fell in love.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher. I had no idea where this book was going and it absolutely thrilled me!
9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Strangely enough, its probably We Were Liars. Knowing how this book ended, I’d really like to reread from the perspective of knowing what was going on!
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?
OH! Definitely Suspicion by Alexandra Monir. I LOVED this cover!! So beautiful. There was a lot of other stunning covers but I went with the first instinct.
11. Most memorable character of 2014?
Celaena Sardothien. Frig, I love this girl.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
Even in Paradise by Chelsey Philpot. I love her writing, it’s beautiful.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?
Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern. I loved this story. I loved seeing a beautiful love story written about two characters that are not prominently featured in YA: a boy with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and a girl with Cerebal Palsy.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
Haha, this one definitely goes to Shadow and Bone. I put this off for so long and for WHAT?!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
“You can only give your heart away once; After that, everything else will chase your first love.” –The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher.
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness was the longest (and a reread!) at 584 pages. The shortest was The Tailor by Leigh Bardugo (a novella) at 18 pages.
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
I am going to go with Until You’re Mine by Samantha Hayes. While I seen the ending coming, it was still shocking and grotesque and pretty twisty!
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Diana and Matthew from the All Souls Trilogy! I just LOVE them together. Love.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
The Garrett Family from My Life Next Door and Bianca & Lainey’s friendship in The Art of Lainey. I love both of these relationships, I can’t choose!
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Oh this is easy. Definitely The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness!
21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher. This was a book that Betty had raved about a ton, and I wouldn’t have even discovered it probably without her!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
Oh gosh, The Darkling for sure. Love him.
23. Best 2014 debut you read?
Rites of Passage by Joy N. Hensley blew me away. Difficult and rage inducing read but SOOO good.
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
I’m going with Shadow and Bone. That world terrifies me. But I love it all the same!
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
My Life Next Door definitely had me smiling (and laughing) when I read it!
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?
The Assassin’s Blade. I SOBBED when I read this, like full on ugly cry situation!
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
I think Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern. I know a lot of people have read this but I think it deserves way more recognition!
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
We Were Liars. Gosh, I felt a little bit empty after I read that book. So sad.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
Dissonance by Erica O’Rourke! I loved this take on parallel worlds. It was beautiful!
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Anatomy of a Misfit. OMG, I was SO angry for the majority of the book. I did end up liking it though.
Your Blogging/Bookish Life
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014?
This is incredibly hard because I never keep track of what blogs I subscribed to in that current year. Add to the fact that 2014 flew by, I can barely remember who is a newish blog and who I have been following forever :/ I have no idea!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014?
Oh, definitely my review for Shadow and Bone! I loved this book SOOOOO much and I just wanted to ramble and ramble when I wrote the review.
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
Bahaha, I had barely any on my blog this year! I’m going to go with my discussion post on deal breakers in books, I had fun ranting in that one and chatting in the comments with everyone!
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
I didn’t do a ton this year, but I have to say attending the first Inspire! Toronto Book Fair was really fun. It was also something that I did by myself on the second day and I have a real issue with attending busy things on my own. I met authors and bought a TON of books!
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?
Meeting Deborah Harkness. There is no competition on this one, and it’s probably going to be my favorite book event of all time!
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
My most popular post was actually my tour review for Lamb to the Slaughter! This makes me so happy because one, it was a review and two, I loved this book SOOOO much so I’m happy to see that people were viewing my post about it!
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Oh meh. I never know how to answer this. Maybe my reviews, but I didn’t work so hard to get my posts to have much love this year so whatever. No time for regrets 😛
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Used book sale in my community. I discovered this randomly and I was so happy that I did just in time! There was thousands of books there and I came home with over 20 books, all for around $30! There was amazing titles available, and in great condition. It takes place in the hallways of a local mall, and you could spend your entire day there. I can’t wait to go back next year because it was definitely worth it!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Umm. For the most part no 😛 But no point in dwelling, onto 2015!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?
Oh wow, what a difficult question! I’m going to go with Ashes to Ashes by Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian. I really wanted to tie up this series in 2014, but well yanno how TBR’s go 😛
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?
Oh! I’m really excited to read Liars, Inc. by Paula Stokes. AND I’m super excited to read Sarah J. Maas’s new series also. All the books actually, I’m so bad at narrowing things down!
3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Oh probably Red Queen for sure! GOSH it sounds amazing.
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?
EEK! A sequel would be Whispers from the Dead by Karen Ann Hopkins (and I’m on the blog tour this month!), I cannot wait to continue this series. I’m also really excited about Get Dirty by Gretchen McNeil. Talk about a cliffhanger last year… sheesh.
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?
Seriously?! I have to limit myself to one thing? haha. Ok, I’m going for completing all my challenges! Teehee, that actually covers a ton of things 🙂 I just really wasn’t great at them in 2014 but I’ve already been eagerly working and planning to achieve them this year! YES! 2015 is the year of all the things 🙂
6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
I didn’t read any 2015 releases yet! I’m off to get one started now though 😛
Phew. Another book survey done. I love doing these, but it’s kind of sad to have to wrap up another year! Onwards and upwards though. Did you complete the survey?! Link up your answers please!