Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish.
Top Ten Settings I’d Like to See More Of
Oh wow, at first I thought this topic would be so hard for me and I actually thought about skipping it but then I realized… what is the point of participating in only the “easy” topics? I should be pushing myself to have to think about topics like this… and I’m so glad that I did. Once I sat down the ideas started to flow and before I knew it I had 9 settings! I didn’t get to 10 but I’m glad I thought about this… I’m going to be actively hunting for more books with these settings 🙂
1. Canada(more specifically Nova Scotia): I currently live in Toronto, but I am born and raised for 23 years on the east coast. The only books I have read that were set in Nova Scotia were The Birth House by Ami McKay and Before I Fall by Ann Marie MacDonald. Both of those books are adult fiction so I’ve read NO young adult books in Nova Scotia… to be honest I’m not even sure if they exist? Outside of NS settings, I’d just like to all around see more set in Canada. I know there is quite a few, in fact I’ve read a few but I’m biased haha and I want MORE!
2. Really Cold Climates: I am sure I will get more than a few jaw drops for this but I love the cold. And snow… and darkness. I actually have a total aversion to the sun, and summer. I detest it… and ideally I would love to live in a climate that is subzero temperatures with 24 hours of darkness. I actually get a bit depressed when the spring comes and the time goes ahead and we “gain” an hour. That being said, I would love to have more books that take place in cold climates with snow and blizzards… maybe they will help get me through the summer 😉
3. Boarding Schools: Ok… I know there is TONS of boarding school books out there, but I need MOREEEEE! I love boarding school books, they are absolutely my favorite setting in all genres. I’m not sure if this is because when I was younger I really, really wanted to be shipped off to a boarding school(and never did… sob) so I’m just living vicariously through them? Who knows… but give me more!
4. Hampton’s or similar: I love the whole über rich, mansion “Revenge” type of settings. In books & TV/Movies(yes… I loved the movie White Chicks). They seem like a bit of a getaway and I love the catty, silly girl problems that always seem to follow characters in those settings.
5. Castles: Well Castles are just creepy and romantic and marvelous. Who wouldn’t want to see more of them?!
6. Magical Realms/Worlds: Well Harry Potter is my favorite series of all time, and I absolutely adore The Mortal Instruments series. The both have this magical realm/world that exists within the current world and I love that aspect. How you just “slip” into that world if you are magical. Lovely.
7. Futuristic NON depressing: Don’t get me wrong, I love dystopians but some time they are so freakin depressing! Can there be a futuristic book that has a little bit of happiness in it? Or are we really destined for a future world this bleak 😉
8. Bookstores: I might be off a little bit of Dash & Lily’s high but I absolutely loved the bookstore setting. I’m too bookish for my own good, lol.
And there you have it… If you have read any books in these settings please comment with some titles for me!! I’d love to add some more books to my TBR(hah).
What are your picks?